highlights from my CV updated 3/16/2017;
- M.Phil. Earth & Environmental Sciences, Columbia University, 02/2016.
- M.A. Earth & Environmental Sciences, Columbia University, 03/2015.
- B.S. Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 12/2012.
- Graduate Researcher, Fiore Atmospheric Chemistry Group, 09/2013-present.
- Research Assistant with Dr. Arlene Fiore at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, 2013.
- Undergraduate Researcher with Dr. Tracey Holloway at the UW-Madison Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, 2011-2012.
- Intern with NASA Student Airborne Research Program, Palmdale & Irvine, CA, 2012.
Awards and Honors
- First Place Oral Presentation, Third Conference on Atmospheric Biogeosciences, Salt Lake City, UT, 06/2016.
- 2015 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- IGAC Travel Grant for CCMI Workshop in Lancaster, UK, 03/2014.
- 2014 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention
- UW-Madison Holstrom Environmental Scholarship, 05/2011.
- Clifton, O. E., A. M. Fiore, J. W. Munger, S. Malyshev, L. W. Horowitz, E. Shevliakova, F. Paulot, L. T. Murray, and K. L. Griffin (2017), Interannual variability in ozone removal by a temperate deciduous forest, Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1002/2016GL070923.
- Clifton, O. E., A. M. Fiore, G. Correa, L. W. Horowitz, and V. Naik (2014), Twenty-first century reversal of the surface ozone seasonal cycle over the northeastern United States, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, doi:10.1002/2014GL061378. Featured as an AGU EOS Research Spotlight.
- Fiore, A. M, J. T. Oberman, M. Y. Lin, L. Zhang, O. E. Clifton, D. J. Jacob, V. Naik, L. W. Horowitz, J. P. Pinto, and G. P. Milly, Estimating North American background ozone in U.S. surface air with two independent global models: Variability, uncertainties, and recommendations, Atmospheric Environment, 96, 284-300, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.07.045.
Conference and Workshop Presentations
- Inter-annual variability in ozone dry deposition over a deciduous forest, 2016 International Global Atmospheric Chemistry (IGAC) Science Conference, Breckenridge, CO, Sept. 2016. (P) Link to poster!
- Hierarchy of models for investigating role of dry deposition on air quality-climate connections, ISSAOS 2016 Advancing Programming Techniques for the Earth System Science, Gran Sasso Science Institute (GSSI), L’Aquila, Italy, August 2016. (P)
- Nonstomatal uptake controls inter-annual variability in ozone dry deposition at a northern mid-latitude broadleaf deciduous forest, Third Conference on Atmospheric Biogeosciences, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2016.
- Phenological controls on inter-annual variability in ozone dry deposition velocity, European Geophysical Union (EGU) 2016 Conference, Vienna, Austria, Abstract # EGU2016-10897, April 2016.
- 21st Century Reversal of the Surface Ozone Seasonal Cycle over the Northeastern United States, NASA Air Quality Applied Sciences Team 7 Meeting, Harvard University, June 2014. (P)
- 21st Century Reversal of the Surface Ozone Seasonal Cycle over the Northeastern United States, Third Chemistry-Climate Model Initiative (CCMI) Workshop, Lancaster University (UK), May 20-22, 2013. (P)
- Shifting seasonal cycles of surface ozone: the role of regional vs. global emission changes in Northeast & Mountainous West U.S., American Geophysical Union Fall 2013 Meeting, Abstract # A11C-0058, 2013. (P)
- Shifting seasonal cycles of surface ozone: the role of regional vs. global emission changes in Northeast & Mountainous West U.S., New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) Environmental Monitoring, Evaluation and Protection in New York: Linking Science and Policy 2013 Conference. (P)
- Estimating Western U.S. Oil & Gas Emissions with OMI NO2 Data, American Geophysical Union Fall 2012 Meeting, Abstract # A21B-0054, 2012. (P)
- Modeling time evolution of C5 alkyl nitrates for use as indicator species of crude oil emissions in southern California, NASA Student Airborne Research Program Student Final Presentations, August 2012. Link to video!
- Member LDEO Colloquium Committee 2014-2016.
- Contributing Author IPCC Working Group 1 Chapter 11, 2013.
- Member American Geophysical Union (since 2012), Earth Science Women’s Network (since 2012), Women In Science at Columbia (since 2013), American Meteorological Society (since 2016), European Geophysical Union (since 2016)
- Presenter LDEO Open House, 2014, 2016.
- Presenter Columbia University EESC UN2100 Field Trip to LDEO, 11/2015, 10/2016.
- Mentor LDEO Secondary School Field Research Program, 2014, 2016.
- Presenter Earth2Class, Air quality-climate-vegetation connections, Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, 2016.
- Panelist Inspiring Voices: STEAM Working Professionals Panel, Connelly School of the Holy Child, Potomac, MD, 2015.
- Presenter Pascack Hills High School Girls’ Climate Stewards Club, Palisades, NY, 11/2014.
- Exhibitor PPPL Young Women’s Conference, Princeton, NJ, 2014.
- Experimental Leader WISC Girls’ Science Day, 2013.
- Presenter Expand Your Horizons: Young Women Exploring Math and Science Careers, Madison, WI, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Introduction to Atmospheric Chemistry, EESC GU4924, Columbia University, spring 2017. Link to lecture on ozone dry deposition here!
- Teaching Assistant, Earth’s Environmental System: Climate, EESC UN2100, Columbia University, fall 2016.
- Teaching Assistant, Quantitative Models of Climate-Sensitive Natural and Human Systems, EESC GU4401, Columbia University, fall 2014.
- Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Atmospheric Chemistry, EESC GU4924, Columbia University, spring 2014.